Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Edmodo for Professional Development


Wow, who knew Edmodo for Professional Development! 

     Let me share my history with Edmodo.  In the past, I had heard of it, but thought I don't need it. But last spring, my district notified us that they would be adjusting, and eventually ending, their relationship with School Fusion. School Fusion was our website host, loved it! I had a website for all my hours, my students could blog, take quizzes, turn in work, .... Right away I started looking for something to replace our School Fusion functions. A colleague mentioned Edmodo.  

What is Edmodo? 
  1. Edmodo is an educational website that takes the ideas of a social network and refines them and makes it appropriate for a classroom. Using Edmodo, students and teachers can reach out to one another and connect by sharing ideas, problems, and helpful tips.
     I started this school year with Edmodo, and I have to say at first I hated it. I wanted the freedom to make my site prettier, I hated the posting format (I am not a facebooker), on and on and on...Change is difficult.

     Now I love Edmodo.  My students have their own backpack to store their items and access at home, more reliable then a flash drive. Parents have a code and can access it.  This just names a few of the pluses. 

     The best thing about Edmodo now, is the networking abilities.  I have joined some very large communities (Computer Technology & Career and Tech Education) and some smaller groups (TV Video and Movie Production). Follow this link for instructions How to Join Communities. I hope to create some phenomenal groups as well; Allison Tech help for my building, and Explorations in Technology for my content colleagues across the district.


    Don't believe me, then here is what kids say about Edmodo!

No comments: